Oh boy, did you just give a hacker your password?? Possibly!!
With so many accounts getting hacked not only on social media but bank accounts, credit cards as well as big corporations, you really need to do everything possible to protect not only your accounts but your identity.
If y’all are on social media I’m sure you’ve seen those cute little tests. You know the ones, “What’s Your Princess Name”, “What’s Your Christmas Elf Name”, the list of questions that friends are asking you to repost and fill in your answers… the list truly does go on and on.
What y’all have to realize with these fun little games is that you are actually giving hackers your information which could absolutely lead them to your passwords.
Let’s look at an example.
This looks harmless enough, right? Here is how this goes…
Oh I have a dog and this would be so much fun to see what his Christmas Elf Name would be. Let’s see, Archie’s first name starts with an A and I was born in September. His name would be Santa Paws Bumble Butt.
Did you know many people use their dog’s name in their passwords? You just gave someone the first letter to your dog’s name. Now if your dog has a somewhat common name the hacker can now run through the list of the most common names for dogs that start with an A.
Do you also realize you gave a hacker the month you were born? This is a big deal not only in hacking your accounts but in identity theft.
I know what you are probably thinking, this stuff really isn’t any big deal because I don’t JUST use my dog’s name and there is more to my birth-date than just the month. Yep, you are correct, however most people that take these little fun quiz’s online don’t just take one.
Let’s look at another type of fun quiz that everyone is doing on Facebook these days…
50 Questions To Get To Know Me
1. What time did you get up this morning? 6 AM
2. How do you like your steak? Medium Rare
3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema? I can’t remember, I don’t go very often. We use Netflicks (Men that stare at goats, I think)
4. What is your favorite TV show? I love so many but House and Closer came first to my mind
5. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be? A small town in Italy I think because I romanticized it in my mind, it seems perfect
6. What did you have for breakfast? Scramble Eggs, WW Toast (Which is actually not the usual for me, usually a serving of Whole Grain Cheerios – No Milk & a Yogurt or piece of fruit.
7. What is your favorite cuisine? Italian (Love that pasta and sauces)
8. What foods do you dislike? Fresh Tomatoes, but cooked is ok, I just realized that recently
9. Favorite Place to Eat? Olive Garden
10. Favorite dressing? Ranch
11.What kind of vehicle do you drive? 1988 Mazda Protégé and 2001 Dodge Durango
12. What are your favorite clothes? Currently: Sweats and a T Shirt….
14. Cup 1/2 empty or 1/2 full? 1/2 Empty but luckily my boyfriends is 1/2 full so its a good balance
15. Where would you want to retire? Not Sure….maybe Washington State
16. Favorite time of day? Early Evening
17. Where were you born? San Luis Obipo, CA
18. What is your favorite sport to watch? Basketball if I had to choose, but not much of a sport nut
19. How many siblings? 1 Sister
20. Favorite pastime/hobby? Driving to new areas to check out…sight seeing, car trips
21. Who are you most curious about their responses to this? Everyone is interesting
22. Bird watcher? No
23. Are you a morning person or a night person? Night but trying to transform that to mornings
24. Do you have any pets? 2 Cockatiel (Oscar & Honey)
25. Any new and exciting news you’d like to share? I have lost 45 pounds, but have had an off week, so I’m hoping the scale if forgiving. I have twin daughters that are 15 and 1 son who is 20. I’ve been with my boyfriend for over 8 years and I know he’s the one.
26. What did you want to be when you were little? Real Estate Agent
27. What is your best childhood memory? Every summer my family (Mom, Dad, Grandma, me and my little sister) went to Antelope Lake located in the Feather River Canyon (Northern California) and would camp for 3 week to 4 weeks. Real camping with tents. It was awesome. Every year for 18 years.
28. Are you a cat or dog person? Dog
29. Are you married? No, Divorced twice
30. Always wear your seat belt? Mostly
31. Been in a car accident? Two, but nothing serious
32. Any pet peeves? Half done work. If you’re gonna do, then do it, don’t do it half way and stop
33. Favorite Pizza Toppings? Extra Cheese and Pepperoni
34. Favorite Flower? Tiger Lilly
35. Favorite ice cream? Ben and Jerry’s Coffee Heath Bar Crunch (Yummy!!)
36. Favorite fast food restaurant? Jack in the Box
37. How many times did you fail your driver’s test? Zero
38. From whom did you get your last email? My Boyfriends Mom
39. Which store would you choose to max out your credit card? Kohls probably
40. Do anything spontaneous lately? Ummm…no. Not in my DNA but am trying
41. Like your job? Yes
42. Broccoli? One of my favorites Broccoli
43. What was your favorite vacation? Besides my family camping trips growing up, I would say the last time I went to San Francisco with my boyfriend
44. Last person you went out to dinner with? Boyfriend (but its been a while)
45. What are you listening to right now? My boss talking on the phone and the clicking of this keyboard. Thats it.
46. What is your favorite color? Purple
47. How many tattoos do you have? None
48. How many people will fill this out? Don’t know
49. What time did you finish this quiz? 2:32 PM Pacific Time
50. Coffee Drinker? Yes, but not being able to use Coffeemates French Vanilla Creamer is really bumming me out, so I’ve been drinking alot more hot tea. Its good to, but not the same.
That seemed harmless enough and a lot of fun, a great way to get to know your friends…right?
Think about this for a moment, many of your bank accounts, credit accounts etc. have now been requiring your to answer security questions. Things like “What city were you born in” or “What is your favorite sport” or “What is your favorite food”.
You have just completed this completely “innocent” quiz online and given the answers to many if not all of your security questions to anyone that views your Facebook account. Oh and please remember, private is NOT private. If it’s on there, there is always a way for people to view it.
These are just a few things to think about before you take one of those “fun quizzes” next time.
Please drop a comment below to let us know what you thought about this post.