I know, “Fruity Cookies” sounds a bit funny. I am really not sure where the name came from, possibly my Mama, but I just love saying it. These have been a tradition in my family at Christmas time since, well since I can remember.
Fruit Cake is one of my very least favorite Christmas treats, although my husband absolutely loves it. These little cookies resemble them ever so slightly, however, I don’t believe I have met someone yet that has not loved these.
They are also terrific to enjoy while dipping into a hot cup of coffee.
I really hope that you will make a batch and try them. I promise you won’t be disappointed!
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup candied cherries cut into halves (NOT maraschino cherries)
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecans
- More pecan halves to place on top of each cookie
- Mix brown sugar, shortening, buttermilk and egg
- 2 Stir in flour, baking soda and salt.
- Mix in cherries, dates and chopped pecans
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour
- Heat oven to 400 degrees
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Please a pecan half on each mounded cookie
- Bake until almost no indentation remains when touched and turning light brown, approx 9-10 minutes
- Immediately remove from cookie sheet and let cool.
Be sure to leave us a comment below to let us know what you thought of this post.