This hearty Hearty Sausage Kale White Bean Soup eats like a meal. With pasta, Italian sausage, kale, white beans and a broth that turns creamy as it cooks. This is extreme comfort food!
This Hearty Sausage Kale White Bean Soup is so delicious! What’s even better than a really delicious soup? A quick and easy one!
Y’all, this is so filling and hearty. It’s the soup that eats like a meal and it will absolutely warm you up from the inside out.
I have made this many times and kept meaning to take a picture, however, it goes so fast in my house there is no chance to take one. Well I finally got one the other night so here is the recipe I’ve had so many requests for.
This works out great when made in a Dutch Oven. If you don’t have a Dutch Oven, you can also use a large soup pot. When I make this I usually just use link Italian sausage and just remove the casing. While browning it I just kind of break it up into about 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces.
Throw in the chopped onion and 2 cans of cannellini beans. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add in the oregano, fennel seeds and red pepper flakes. Stir around the pot for about 30 seconds. At this point, your mouth will really start watering with the wonderful smells.
I only add half of the kale along with the pasta and broth at this point and cover it. I like to have the rest go in after about 5 later so that it still has a bit of a tad more texture.
When the pasta is done, add about a half of a cup of the cheese and stir. This, along with the pasta, will make the broth smooth and lightly creamy.
This soup is not a “brothy” soup, so don’t be concerned when you serve it up. Sprinkle a little bit more cheese on the top and enjoy it.
Hearty Pasta Sausage Kale and White Bean Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage bulk or casings removed
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 15 oz can cannellini beans rinsed
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/4 cups elbow macaroni uncooked
- 12 oz kale stemmed and chopped
- 1 oz Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese grated
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat. Add sausage and cook breaking it apart as it cooks until slightly browned.
- Add onions and beans, cook until onion is softened.
- Stir in garlic, oregano, fennel seeds and pepper flakes cooking until fragrant, about 30 seconds
- Stir in broth and increase to high heat, bringing it to a boil. Stir in pasta and half of the kale. Cover and simmer for approximately 5 minutes.
- Place remaining kale in the pot, stir and cover. Cook until kale is tender and pasta is cooked.
- Take off of the heat and stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese. Salt and Pepper to taste
- Serve with extra cheese sprinkled on top
If you enjoyed this post you may also enjoy: