This hearty Hearty Sausage Kale White Bean Soup eats like a meal. With pasta, Italian sausage, kale, white beans and a broth that turns creamy as it cooks. This is extreme comfort food!
This Hearty Sausage Kale White Bean Soup is so delicious! What’s even better than a really delicious soup? A quick and easy one!
Y’all, this is so filling and hearty. It’s the soup that eats like a meal and it will absolutely warm you up from the inside out.
I have made this many times and kept meaning to take a picture, however, it goes so fast in my house that there is no chance to take one. Well, I finally got one the other night so here is the recipe I’ve had so many requests for.
This works out great when made in a Dutch Oven. If you don’t have a Dutch Oven, you can also use a large soup pot. When I make this I usually just use link Italian sausage and just remove the casing. While browning it I just kind of break it up into about 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces.
Throw in the chopped onion and 2 cans of cannellini beans. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add in the oregano, fennel seeds, and red pepper flakes. Stir around the pot for about 30 seconds. At this point, your mouth will really start watering with wonderful smells.
I only add half of the kale along with the pasta and broth at this point and cover it. I like to have the rest go in after about 5 later so that it still has a bit of a tad more texture.
When the pasta is done, add about half of a cup of the cheese and stir. This, along with the pasta, will make the broth smooth and lightly creamy.
This soup is not a “brothy” soup, so don’t be concerned when you serve it up. Sprinkle a little bit more cheese on the top and enjoy it.
Hearty Pasta Sausage Kale and White Bean Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage bulk or casings removed
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 15 oz can cannellini beans rinsed
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/4 cups elbow macaroni uncooked
- 12 oz kale stemmed and chopped
- 1 oz Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese grated
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat. Add sausage and cook breaking it apart as it cooks until slightly browned.
- Add onions and beans, cook until onion is softened.
- Stir in garlic, oregano, fennel seeds and pepper flakes cooking until fragrant, about 30 seconds
- Stir in broth and increase to high heat, bringing it to a boil. Stir in pasta and half of the kale. Cover and simmer for approximately 5 minutes.
- Place remaining kale in the pot, stir and cover. Cook until kale is tender and pasta is cooked.
- Take off of the heat and stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese. Salt and Pepper to taste
- Serve with extra cheese sprinkled on top
If you enjoyed this post you may also enjoy:
Be sure to leave us a comment below to let us know what you thought of this post.